View Single Post

Old 08-11-2017, 09:34 PM

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Say Heah Guy's and Gals, I like both my O. K. C. Ranger Afghan and my Becker BK-2 prolly equally. Although for the last two weeks I used my Ranger Knives alot. I like knives and I go in the bush alot. Sometimes just for a Butcher Shop Hot Dog and mustard/onions and some Pork and Beans Coffee and a nice Cigar I call it my Afternoon Delight. No I don't usually take my Rangers for a Afternoon Delight, but I did take them last weekend to bush craft a little.
But I did modify my Rangers. I took a smooth file and rounded the corners and took off the hot spots so now my handles fit my hand near perfect.
I also sharpened my Rangers with my Work Sharp and now both are very sharp.
But what I did notice and kept the continuous curve on my Afghan. I think that's very important to be able to slice with any knife when ever possible to keep that type of curve on the edge. According to Mors Kochansky.
I also agree a knife should be strong that's why weekends I test combo's because I like doing solo scouts in New area's.
Infact I added my Ranger RD-9 to make a very strong combo. Getting them sharp on my Work Sharp wasn't that hard either.
Yeah, It's a hefty set, but if ever I was in a survival situation, I definitely wouldn't mind having my Ranger Knives.
When I got back from our weekend trip, I continued using them because all I needed to do is strop them back to how I like my knives to be.
Mors said in one of his books that a knife should be able to slice smooth so you didn't have to sand the wood. Well maybe their not that sharp, but I can make good enough tinder and what else do I need. Yeah, I can do it with my Afghan and almost with my RD-9.
So, Yeah, and besides, I use my RD-9 more as a Survival Knife, but mostly to baton chop. It's a great chopper, and I always liked Choils.
To me Choils is like having two knives in one. Actually I can finish most jobs with either knives. But for task specifics, especially fine tasks, I prefer my Ranger Afghan.
I think guys think too thick of a Knife can't do fine tasks,. But my friend could carve a spoon with his BK-2.
I like my Ranger Afghan a little better in that case because of the Choil, I never ran out of blade length because of a choil. I also like the fact my Afghan doesn't have jumping, I can really choke up on mine, now that both my handles fit real good.
I know they use the 1095 CroVan also for car springs, but I had a real good experience with my 5160 Ranger RD-9. I had it Curved alot once that I thought it was ruined, Yup, It straightened out true, and I've been using it ever since.
Too bad both have been discontinued, and I wanted to buy another set. But I saw a $300.00 price tag in just a Ranger Afghan. Go figure WoW.
I just feel more conformable beating on a hunk of 5160, so I guess mentally it has the edge.
I'm just glad I have the both Ranger Afghan and my BK-2 because I would still have a hard choice if I had a choice to buy just one after having experience with both. I hope this helps someone if they have a chance to buy a Ranger Afghan at a good price. I say most definitely buy it. Because later one you could always buy a BK-2 unless they discontinue it also.
Well Boys and Girls. That's my 00.02 worth, Enjoy the rest of your summer and stay safe with your sharp knives. Oh, Go Browns, They most certainly played Great against New Orleans 20-14 (Exhibition). Go Browns.,,. p

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk