View Single Post

Old 08-11-2017, 10:30 PM

Liked 3,279 Times in 1,356 Posts

Not sayin' you shouldn't buy or keep both of the knives you are talking about, but if you will try the Ontario ( I think ) brand of short machete that was designed by Blackie Collins for the military, you will not be disappointed. They run about $20 to $25, and if you look around you can find the military issue heavy-duty sheath for about $12 to $15.
I like them so well that I have two of them. One of the reasons they cut so well is that they are pretty thin, but not so much so that they are very flexible.
Their thin but deep blades cut almost anything better than any of the heavy blades that are the rage now that measure nearly 1/4" in diameter. Especially smaller limbs and brush.
On two different occaisions I have cut down trees with trunks approximately 10 to 12 inches in diameter with less trouble than you would expect.
These short machetes will not make as good of a pry bar as the heavy-bladed Becker-type stuff, but one should not be using a good knife for that anyway.
Another bonus of the machete is that they weigh much less than the other knives being discussed here.
Remember, I am talking about the short machete only.

Last edited by smoothshooter; 08-13-2017 at 01:00 AM.