View Single Post

Old 08-12-2017, 01:48 AM

Liked 80 Times in 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alk8944 View Post
Me239,

You raise some interesting points, but are also sadly misinformed about several points.

First, any mechanical device is a set of compromises. Every feature cannot be built into every design, and we are not talking about only guns! Any firearm is nothing more nor less than a bullet launching device. The ammunition doesn't care what it is fired from, and both accuracy and safety are in a large point a result of the operators competence, not the design.

There have been blow-back pistols in calibers including 9mm Browning Long, 9mm Parabellum, 9mm Largo, and even .45 ACP. Have you ever heard of HiPoint??? All of these are far more powerful than .380!

"Vintage Design"? How about the S&W J-Frame and K-Frame models? These all date back to 1896 and 1899 respectively! I think a Model 10, 19, 60, etc. could easily fall into the Vintage category. Not only are many "Vintage" pistols and revolvers fully as capable as "Modern" guns, they are just as capable as when they were new. During my life, and the more than 50 years I have carried concealed during it, I have carried many "Vintage" firearms and felt fully confidant in their ability to defend me if it came to dire necessity, and I did my share. These include in no particular order:

Mauser 1934 .32
Walther PP .32
Remington style "Hy Hunter" double-derringer, .357
Colt 1911 .45
S&W 1905 4th Change .38, ca. 1918 "I was the 3rd police officer to carry this revolver as a duty and off duty weapon!"
Browning 1910 .380
Colt New Service .45 Colt
Webley "Metropolitan Police" in .450 Revolver ca. 1870 or so.
Savage 1907 .32
Colt (Clone) SAA .45 Colt
Colt 1903 .32
S&W .38 Safety
S&W .32 Double Action (I'll admit this is marginal!)
And a few times, when in a peculiar mood, a Colt Navy .36

I am sure there were a few more that I don't recall at the moment.

My EDC is a S&W Model 12, either of 2.

I also carry from time to time, a S&W Shorty Forty, Astra A-75L 9mm, S&W Model 39, S&W Model 19 2 1/2", S&W Model 10 2", S&W Model 60-9(?) .38, S&W Model 14-2 "Dayton", S&W Model 30 3" .32 S&WL, and several others. I cannot say I really have felt any more confident with any of these "modern" guns that those in the list above. I still carry some of those from time to time when the mood strikes. Historically they have all been able to get the job done when needed, and I have no doubt they still will!
Feel bad responding to this over a year later, but I just logged back in! So I'm not sure if you read my entire post or not, but I clearly state that I consider .380 ACP to be the most powerful cartridge that can be chambered in a blowback pistol before something like the C9 is created

I know that every mechanical design is a compromise, but I also recognized in my post that the 1910 has the distinct disadvantage of being in the group of the first successful semi-automatic pistols, while Kahr has over 100 years of feedback from the failures and successes of manufacturers before them.

As far as the revolver argument goes, do you feel safer with a revolver without a transfer bar than a revolver with one (seeing that you carry an 1851 tells me this probably isn't an issue)? Transfer bars, along with drop safeties, are hallmarks of modern carry pistols and revolvers. I also never stated that those revolvers weren't vintage either, I simply never mentioned anything besides a FN 1910 and CM40

EDIT: Oh wow, I see that I already responded to the post with nearly the exact same opinions. Guess I'm a little stubborn.

Last edited by Me239; 08-12-2017 at 01:52 AM.
The Following User Likes This Post: