View Single Post

Old 08-12-2017, 05:14 AM

Liked 26,385 Times in 9,147 Posts

Being 61, I have noticed that older men carry older guns and younger men carry younger designs. I don't know if this is a statement for stubbornness, or wisdom.

What I have learned over the last 45 years of being in the working world is; "New and Improved", seldom is!

One of the other issues I take concern over is; "Drop proof" firearms. If the 1911 is so bad, Why aren't there millions of dead or wounded GI's from WWI, WWII, Korea, & Vietnam. The guns were dropped sometimes with the men attached! Or the millions of civilians that have owned these same guns or commercial models.

Using primed only cases, The Columbus, Ohio PD ordinance department conducted independent tests to see what it actually took in real life to get a 1911 to discharge when dropped. They could not get one of the test guns to discharge! They used a slide only, and got it to discharge UNDER UNREALISTIC CONDITIOND ONLY! The bore axis must be perpendicular to the surface and the distance it falls was greater than 6'2" men could hold them unaided. (8 foot 6 inches, is the minimum distance that sticks in my mind.) A complete steel framed pistol's center of gravity won't allow these conditions to exist under anything close to real life conditions! Saying that it is impossible to happen isn't true either, but you stand a much greater chance of being struck by lightning, TWICE! (which has happened, ONCE!)

Is any of this relevant to the 1910 FN or Kahr pistols? I believe that gravities relationship to an objects center of gravity hasn't changed! I also believe that most people don't go looking for a way to have a ND! I do believe that there are a lot of stupid people out there, and Murphy's law will come up once in a great while. So to prevent any catastrophe, send all your FN 1910's and 1922's along with all your Colt 1903's, 1908's and 1911's to me for proper disposal!

Ivan