View Single Post

Old 08-12-2017, 12:32 PM
US Veteran

Liked 32,371 Times in 5,476 Posts

Worked uniform patrol for years carrying a 6-shot revolver and 12 rounds on my belt. Worked plainclothes for years carrying a 6-shot revolver and 6 rounds on my belt. Carried a box of ammo in my briefcase, kept in the car, but never had need to dig into that.

Locked in the car trunk I usually had a Remington 870 (4 rounds 00-buck in magazine, chamber empty, extra box of 5 rounds) and a 1943 Inland M1 Carbine (30-round mag loaded, chamber empty, 2-15 round mags in a stock pouch). Only time I ever used either was to put down deer that had been hit by cars on the road.

Switched to semi-auto pistols in the late 1980's. Seldom carry revolvers for defensive use anymore, but when I do I carry one reload (either a speed strip or in a pouch).

Humped combat patrols in Vietnam with a M16 and 5-20 round mags and M1911A1 with 3-7 round mags. That was in addition to my rucksack (40-50 pounds including rations for 2-3 days, 2-quart water carrier, a Claymore mine or two, smoke grenades, signal flares, 200 rounds of 7.62 for my M60 gunner, clean socks, toothbrush, etc) and my web gear (2-one quart canteens, knife, couple of frag grenades, extra headset & batteries for my PRC-25 radio operator, first ad gear, etc). Add the flak vest and steel helmet and I probably had 75-80 pounds loaded on my skinny 19 year old body. More ammo? No thanks. Nice canned Danish ham or good summer sausage from home, okay I'll make some room for that.

So far I haven't felt undergunned or lacking ammunition.

Last edited by LoboGunLeather; 08-12-2017 at 12:42 PM.