View Single Post

Old 08-12-2017, 02:01 PM

Liked 58,905 Times in 9,673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoc9sw View Post
"Off the books" in my neck of the woods means no FFL involved in the specific sale (no 4473). It does not mean that the firearm vanishes, because if the ATF shows up at my door looking for a gun that I've sold privately, I'll know who got it.

That in itself does not make it impossible to ship it via the normal routes for repairs if needed to S&W, or to resell privately or through LGS UNLESS it was a seizure gun that will show up on a check.

Having the ability to make private sales between trusted individuals is an important right here in TX.
Well I KNOW what it means. I just didn't like the connotation of "off the books" as if it were somehow illegal. Perfectly legal in Louisiana for a face to face sale. LA law states that sale of a movable is completed and ownership passes when the thing sold is delivered to the purchaser ( the law assumes that it wouldn't be delivered until da money is handed to the seller-we coonasses ain't stupid ). Certain things like cars and boats have to be titles so the state can get their cut but offhand I can think of no other movable property sales in Louisiana between private persons that require any documentation.
Now to brag on our constitutional right to arm bears. I quote as follows:
Article I, § 11 of the Louisiana State Constitution currently provides: “The right of each citizen to keep and bear arms is fundamental and shall not be infringed. Any restriction on this right shall be subject to strict scrutiny.” This was the result of a constitutional amendment, enacted via ballot measure in 2012. Prior to this amendment, Article I, § 11 had read: “The right of each citizen to keep and bear arms shall not be abridged, but this provision shall not prevent the passage of laws to prohibit the carrying of weapons concealed on the person.” We wanted to make sure that the Courts understood what we meant by the rights to keep and bear arms-that if you want to in any way limit that right you better have a good reason and the law will undergo the higher test of strict scrutiny.
Now pass dem crawfish please..........

Last edited by CAJUNLAWYER; 08-12-2017 at 02:02 PM.
The Following 5 Users Like Post: