View Single Post

Old 08-12-2017, 02:16 PM

Liked 11,740 Times in 5,352 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
stansdds, what about the "average" ball ammo available at big box stores and online using 115 grain FMJ type bullets? If my gun is functioning well with this and seems to be functioning well with the limited use of the 150 grain HST ammo intended for "micro nines" It seems like, even though there is a 35 grain difference in the bullet weights, this pairing covers my needs for practice ammo and self defense loads. POA/POI out to 25 yds seems pretty consistent, and I can currently walk into the big box store and find both fairly economically. If I am going to continue to resist the urge to reload for this gun, the 115 gr/150 gr odd couple looks good. Again, is there a hole in my logic?
Here is a great video comparing the 150 gr HST with the standard and +P 147 gr HST's.

The gist of it seems to be that the 150 gr loading is standard pressure, rapid expansion, but that means less penetration and the rounds are expensive. They will certainly not do any harm to your 39-2, but they offer no real advantage over the less expensive, standard pressure 147 gr HST.

As for practicing with 115 grain FMJ, it is standard pressure, will do no harm to your 39-2, and is cheap. The only downside is the difference in recoil impulse between the two very different bullet weights. In my experience, 115 grain loads are snappy, while 147 grain loads feel more like a good push.
The Following User Likes This Post: