View Single Post

Old 08-12-2017, 10:11 PM

Liked 7,733 Times in 2,126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG-688 View Post
My 1970 model 55 was made for cocked & locked carry, yet my 1974 Safariland model 54 came with the thumb snap configured for hammer down carry. I was dumbstruck. Fortunately, the tension induced when snapped with the hammer cocked helped keep everything tight.

Here's a picture from about 1970 showing a motorcycle cop carrying a .45 hammer down in a model 55. Shocking.
Absolutely on point. Condition One (a system of conditions that Jeff is credited for inventing) just wasn't done before the '70s. Now it's taken for granted to the point where concealment holsters are actually strapless, not least because thumbsnaps can actually switch the thumb safety to 'fire' by pressing the snaps together. Again, because the thumbsnap was invented for DA revolvers and then adapted to SA autos, for which it is unsuited.

For anyone I couldn't explain well enough for -- if you're carrying a Glock, nevertheless your holster's configuration is just a 1911 holster adapted to the Glock action, and doesn't safeguard you as it would the 1911 -- that's my failure. Ideally -- carry with the muzzle in a safe direction, your holster maker isn't paying attention to the risk you take otherwise :-). Not even the biggest ones (Safariland) nor the smallest (insert your favourite so-called 'custom' maker (they're standard products, not custom).

Last edited by rednichols; 08-12-2017 at 10:12 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: