View Single Post

Old 08-13-2017, 01:46 AM

Liked 7,749 Times in 2,127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy2525 View Post
I think I'm a bit slow. If I'm following your train of thought correctly you're saying three things.

1) The current trigger protection on holsters is inadequate for modern pistol design, but it's difficult to tell by lookimg at it.

2) lots of holster makers are building holsters using blue guns without testimg them with real pistols.

3) You believe this puts comcealed carry people at risk, paticularily if their holstered pistol is pointed at vulnerable body parts.

Is that close to your point? Could you post some additional comparison pics to help us understand good trigger design from a bad one.
I did say those things. Is that a complete summary? I think I meant to say that the industry, and its buyers, don't realise that a Glock action pistol in a 1911 action holster design ADDED a layer of risk that they, and consumers, haven't even considered.

Of course we've all seen plenty of posts about holsters of old, saying "I wouldn't carry my guns with that exposed trigger guard" yet it's a DA revolver. The reason trigger guards were covered was not to protect the gunman from himself; it was to protect him from assaults on his weapon. That immediately caused trouble with the trigger shoes that were so common in the 1960s and throughout the 1970s: designed for competition, they 'bled' over into holsters -- and because they are wider than the trigger guard by a lot, LOTS of shootings whilst holstering occurred. So the Bianchi company, and most every company since then, added warning labels to the products, and to the packaging.

This new situation (well, it's been around for yonks) creates the ADDITIONAL problem of the gun being fired when its simply being carried; not just when holstering or drawing. So covered guards solve one problem but create another.

Best summary, then: if you're carrying a Glock action pistol, realise that your holster maker thinks he's thought of everything when in fact he hasn't. That's why old pics of, say, Bruce Nelson carrying his Commander cocked and locked in what he called 'forward of hip carry' (mistakenly called 'appendix carry' which is an old, rough label that Jeff used) are not instructive when carrying a Glock action: there is no 'locked' to go with the 'cocked'. I actually had this blue with a small holster maker a few years ago, and he never did "get it".

Last edited by rednichols; 08-13-2017 at 01:48 AM.
The Following User Likes This Post: