View Single Post

Old 08-14-2017, 01:43 PM
Banned

Liked 32,463 Times in 7,773 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednichols View Post
Some comments reinforce this: whatever mythology has developed around the 1911 being 'designed' to be carried in Condition One, you should realise that it was rarely done until the 1960s and Jeff Cooper's Big Bear competitions (the point of that reference) inspired first competition shooters, then concealment carriers, then police departments to the point where it became the norm. But the pistols have changed.
Well, I guess you're talking to me, since I'm the one who brought up the "mythology" about the 1911 back up there in Post #9. I won't argue the point very far, but I'll say this: If the 1911 wasn't designed to be carried cocked and locked, why do you think John Browning designed the pistol with two mechanical safeties and the third "safety" being the trigger, itself, that had to be pulled to fire the pistol?

And this whole thing about carrying cocked and locked being done only "rarely" before the 70s or the 60s is simply apocryphal. You offer no evidence or documentation to substantiate that statement, but seem to think I should accept it as gospel simply because you say so. That's not gonna happen.

Quote:
Absolutely on point. Condition One (a system of conditions that Jeff is credited for inventing) just wasn't done before the '70s.
Here we go with that again. His Majesty Jeff Cooper didn't "invent" Condition One any more than I invented smokeless powder. What Cooper did was define carry conditions for the 1911...by that I mean he gave them names. He didn't invent doodly squat, and that includes what became known as the "Modern Technique".

He took elements and techniques he observed in others...Jack Weaver, for instance...combined them, honed them, and gave them a name. That's what Cooper is known for, not for "inventing" anything.

Make no mistake here, I respect you as a great holster designer and the driving force behind Bianchi during the company's glory days (my original #50 Chapman High Ride is one of my leather treasures). But how you can make these blanket statements such as Condition One "just wasn't done before the '70s" is beyond me.

Quote:
For anyone I couldn't explain well enough for -- if you're carrying a Glock, nevertheless your holster's configuration is just a 1911 holster adapted to the Glock action, and doesn't safeguard you as it would the 1911...
That thought, that statement, simply leaves me speechless. I have no idea what to say or think about that.

Quote:
-- that's my failure. Ideally -- carry with the muzzle in a safe direction, your holster maker isn't paying attention to the risk you take otherwise :-). Not even the biggest ones (Safariland) nor the smallest (insert your favourite so-called 'custom' maker (they're standard products, not custom).
Well, if that's the case, I reckon I could just go on down to Cabela's and pick up a Galco or DeSantis holster off the rack instead of ponying up big bucks and waiting four to eight weeks for a Red Nichols "custom made" holster. Man, I bet Karla Van Horne would be really disappointed to find out she hasn't been doing real custom work all these years. Whew. Sure wouldn't want to be around her when she gets that news.

Quote:
Oh, I'm not wrong.
No offense, but you think that might be just a tiny bit arrogant on your part? If not, there isn't any point to anyone else (including me) offering different opinions, is there?

That's it from me on this subject.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: