Thread: 3953 DAO
View Single Post

Old 08-14-2017, 02:54 PM

Liked 14,860 Times in 5,052 Posts

There is a pistol that is live on a -big- auction site right now that I really wish I could link this discussion to, but the rules are the rules are the rules and I am prohibited from doing that.

I'm not selling it, I don't wish to own it, but it's an oddball 3rd Gen and if it has been discussed around here, I missed the discussion.

It's recent manufacture and shows a Houlton, Maine production stamped on the left side of the slide and the left side of the frame also. The model number calls it a "3914DAO", and it's not like the DAO 3rd Gen pistols we know, it's not the true DAO that S&W engineered for the 3rd Gen variants like the one that is the subject of this thread.

Instead, this pistol appears to be a regular DA/SA 3rd Gen but S&W took the single action hook off the hammer so that it only runs in double action mode. Unlike the pre-cocked DAO 3rd Gens we are familiar with, this one appears to be a long double action only, with "restrike capability."

Not sure why S&W decided to make these unless it was some specific directive by some LE organization that demanded this odd setup.

It has a UCS-prefix serial number and also unlike every 3rd Gen I have ever seen, the serial number is NOT found on the left side of the pistol. It's on the right side of the frame -- odd and lonely, the ONLY thing stamped or written on the right side of the pistol.

Sorry for any thread drift. I suppose I figured that if I started a new thread, it would simply be deleted immediately due to the rules.

For 3rd Gen fans, this is an interesting item. Sorry that I don't see any box or end label with it, to throw out a six digit product code.
The Following User Likes This Post: