Thread: 3953 DAO
View Single Post

Old 08-14-2017, 03:23 PM

Liked 17,298 Times in 6,649 Posts

I'm surprised that you don't know about this, as you're very 3rd Gen knowledgeable and it's been covered many times.

The 3914DAO was built for the NYPD as an off duty option for officers. It's covered as much as possible in the current SCSW. I forget the production dates, but they are no longer authorized for purchase by NYPD officers. I think that's why we're seeing some show up on various auction sites.

The main difference operationally between the 3953 and 3914 is that the 3914 offers "second trigger pull" in the case that the round doesn't fire. The 3953 and all other "standard" DAO 3rd Gens require the slide to be cycled if the round doesn't fire on the first trigger pull.

I have no idea why the serial number is on the right side other than "NYPD" and the police, fire, and EMS in the Big Apple have unique (and sometimes weird) special requirements for their equipment and vehicles.

This is one of the 3rd Gen variants I'd buy if it showed up for sale in MA, or if I'm fortunate enough to move out before I run out of "good years" by the Bam Bam definition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevens View Post
There is a pistol that is live on a -big- auction site right now that I really wish I could link this discussion to, but the rules are the rules are the rules and I am prohibited from doing that.

I'm not selling it, I don't wish to own it, but it's an oddball 3rd Gen and if it has been discussed around here, I missed the discussion.

It's recent manufacture and shows a Houlton, Maine production stamped on the left side of the slide and the left side of the frame also. The model number calls it a "3914DAO", and it's not like the DAO 3rd Gen pistols we know, it's not the true DAO that S&W engineered for the 3rd Gen variants like the one that is the subject of this thread.

Instead, this pistol appears to be a regular DA/SA 3rd Gen but S&W took the single action hook off the hammer so that it only runs in double action mode. Unlike the pre-cocked DAO 3rd Gens we are familiar with, this one appears to be a long double action only, with "restrike capability."

Not sure why S&W decided to make these unless it was some specific directive by some LE organization that demanded this odd setup.

It has a UCS-prefix serial number and also unlike every 3rd Gen I have ever seen, the serial number is NOT found on the left side of the pistol. It's on the right side of the frame -- odd and lonely, the ONLY thing stamped or written on the right side of the pistol.

Sorry for any thread drift. I suppose I figured that if I started a new thread, it would simply be deleted immediately due to the rules.

For 3rd Gen fans, this is an interesting item. Sorry that I don't see any box or end label with it, to throw out a six digit product code.