View Single Post

Old 08-15-2017, 07:59 AM

Liked 12,654 Times in 3,371 Posts

I think your take was a little over the top.

My take was:

1. It is the end user's responsibility to ensure that their holster is safe with their pistol, given how they carry it; and

2. If you carry a striker fired pistol without a manual safety, there are some extra considerations that you need to take into account because some holsters that cover the trigger, fail to fully protect the trigger from potential intrusion of objects into the trigger guard.

Now....you can argue the finer points of the "new paradigm" posed by striker fired pistols with all the safeties tied to the trigger or the "Big Bear paradigm" of 1911's being carried cocked and locked (and thus when most people started carrying the 1911 cocked and locked), but 1 and 2 above were accurately conveyed.

If I have any objection, it's that his examples of an object intruding into the holster are very low probability freakish occurrences. That may draw attention away from the higher frequency occurrence of NDs occurring while holstering a revolver or pistol. This is particularly a concern with striker fired pistols due to the shooter not understanding the pistol and holster as a system, and failing to fully understand the increased vulnerabilities involved with a pistol that has a short, light trigger pull with no manual safety.

-----

I've posted a time or two on holster considerations for shooters who want to conceal carry, covering what a good holster needs to do to protect the trigger, how the shooter needs to holster and re-holster different handguns and the special considerations for SA pistols DA/SA pistols, DA revolvers and striker fired pistols.

I also made the point that using a striker fired pistol with a duty holster that places the pistol out away from the body is significantly different than carrying one in an OWB holster.

Still, if you look around you'll see shooters with those incredibly stupid belt clips mounted to the slides and frames of their revolvers and pistols. It's bad enough with a 1911, or a DA revolver, but it is sheer idiocy with a Glock. It's proof that some we do indeed have some short bus shooters out there who just don't get it and truly believe that their booger hook is the only safety they need.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: