View Single Post

Old 08-15-2017, 12:45 PM
Banned

Liked 32,463 Times in 7,773 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelslaver View Post
Not true. Although unlikely, a Supreme Court decision would do it and do it better than congress...
Well, that can't happen unless a case comes before the Court. To the best of my knowledge, a national reciprocity case isn't pending before the Court. And the Court can't just arbitrarily render a decision, they can't make new law.

Regarding the bill, itself, if you actually look at it, it really isn't a total/full national reciprocity bill. Without getting into a line by line dissection of the bill, what it's supposed to do is "amend the federal criminal code to allow a qualified individual to carry a concealed handgun into or possess a concealed handgun in another state that allows individuals to carry concealed firearms." (the bold print is mine).

In other words, even with so-called national reciprocity as the law of the land, you (from Montana) or me (from North Carolina) still wouldn't be allowed to carry our concealed handgun into New York or any other state that doesn't allow it for its own residents. Now, I could be wrong about that, but I think my interpretation is correct.

As late as June of this year, the NRA trumpeted that the "concealed carry reciprocity effort gains steam in Congress." Well, it's done no such thing. All it's gained is more tag-along sponsors who want to make their gun owning constituents believe they're doing something for them.

So without dragging this old thread out any further than necessary, the current status of H.R.38 (the original subject of this thread) is that it's been languishing in the Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism, Homeland Security, and Investigations since January 12, 2017. For all I know, it could have several other bills stacked on top of it by now.

I think I've said this before about this bill...the way things are in the world and this country in 2017, probably the last thing on the minds of those in Congress is another obscure run-of-the-mill gun bill like those that get introduced every year.

Every time this subject comes up in the 2A Forum, we all (myself included) end up saying the same ol' things over and over. Fear of the feds, federal intrusion, this state, that state, NRA says this, Supreme Court, Congress should, blah blah blah.

This thread's well over a year old now. Just like H.R.38, it isn't going anywhere anytime soon. There's really nothing new to see here.