Thread: New Colt Cobra
View Single Post

Old 08-16-2017, 02:03 AM

Liked 1,159 Times in 387 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCantu357 View Post
Good looking sixgun, but Cobra should be aluminum frame. An all steel gun that size should be .357 Magnum. Didn't Ruger go through this when the SP101 came out?
Yep, they first came out in .38 Spl only, my brother bought one & still has it. He carried that chunk of steel in his pants pocket as a back-up on duty, wouldn't listen to me when I told him to ream it out for .357. A lot of people did ream theirs out, although it could only use the shorter 125 gr JHPs, but since that was the most popular SD round anyway, it was fine. After a while Ruger gave in and did the same, marking the guns with the ammo restriction, then eventually started making them with a longer cylinder.

Ruger knew the guns could take it, because during development they had put a .357 cylinder on one and proceeded to fire something like 5,000 rounds of full-power .357 through it. That was Ruger's idea of a good solid .38!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macinaw View Post
My LGS has one for $850. MSRP is $699. I was thinking about it. Then, I picked it up. Felt cheap compared to my Lawman MKIII. If the price eventually comes down I may rethink about it.
That's crazy! No, wait, I stand corrected. Just went and looked on GB, and the things are selling for twice what nice original Cobras are going for. There are several that are over $850 with days left in the auction.

Oh well, if I understood the market I'd be living a lot better, that's for sure.