Thread: New Colt Cobra
View Single Post

Old 08-16-2017, 09:04 PM
US Veteran

Liked 22,296 Times in 4,529 Posts

My pleasure... I love the older Colts, just like I love the older Smiths. What I guess bothers me about the newer production is that with the improved metallurgy and more efficient CNC machining methods, that both companies could manufacture revolvers that would be just as aesthetically pleasing as the older ones, while being stronger and capable of handling more robust loads. But they can't just do that, they somehow seem to feel the need to tinker with the inherent beauty of the older designs and add unasked for and aesthetically displeasing touches such as the Internal Lock on the Smith, with its ugly hole in an otherwise attractive firearm, and Colts tinkering with the shape and balance and beauty of the old standbys, for no good reason, and adding their own bit of ugly, the computer code on the frame, the reshape Trigger Gaurd, changing the frame so that older stocks will not fit... Why do these things??

Just want to add a thought on the Kimber that was mentioned above. As far as I'm concerned, I would go for the Kimber instead of the new "Cobra", for several reasons. One, it is a six shot .357 Magnum, and appears to be more compact than the "Cobra". Two, because it is the first Kimber, we don't expect it to match the aesthetics of the previous models, as it is breaking new ground. Third, it is, in my opinion, a better looking gun than the new "Cobra", although it is really not my cup of tea, either!!.:

Well, this is the original limited edition offered at more than twice the regular model, but it does showcase the inherent attractiveness of the model...take note, S&W...no IL...and although it is somewhat unusual in styling, that's OK, because it doesn't pretend to be a recreation of a traditional model.

OK, rant over.... But I'll keep collecting and accumulating the older versions of both manufacturers, Colt and Smith and Wesson.

Best Regards, Les

Last edited by les.b; 08-17-2017 at 08:12 AM. Reason: Add a photo
The Following 3 Users Like Post: