Thread: New Model 915
View Single Post

Old 08-17-2017, 06:57 PM

Liked 14,860 Times in 5,052 Posts

I wonder if it might be possible to open a discussion without anyone taking offense... guess we'll see.

I'm a hardcore S&W 1-2-3rd Gen guy with lots of pistols that fit under the umbrella. My knee-jerk reaction is to question a 50,000 round count. To be crystal clear, --NO-- I am not saying or even suggesting or hinting the round count that CelticSire has on his 915. But for the record, I will say that 50,000 rounds through a handgun is nowhere near typical.

For a gun used in competition, with heavy weekly practice and matches -- yes. For most shooters outside of competition, that's an extremely high round count. At half of retail, that's five thousand dollar of ammo.

S&W 1-2-3rd Gens are extremely well designed, durable guns that most gun owners will not wear out. Average gun owners just don't shoot often enough and hardcore enthusiasts like you, me and all that participate in forums definitely ~DO~ log enough shooting to wear out a handgun but we never actually wear out a handgun but almost none of us has the self control to stop buying more more MORE guns, so we rarely funnel all that ammo at one handgun.

Can a 915 go 50,000 rounds? Evidence here says YES! But me personally, I think you'd make a hazardous bet to suggest that alloy frame 1-2-3rd Gens will all go 50k.

If we could poll everyone that's ever posted in these pages (we can't but...) the results would show that more folks have cracked alloy frame 1-2-3rd Gens than guys who have logged 50k or more rounds in a single alloy framed S&W 1-2-3rd Gen.

Most likely failure point would be a frame rail or a crack running from the slide stop hole to an edge.

And for sure, guns will vary by size, ammo, preventative/pro-active maintenance and by luck.

My opinion? Expect a 915 to be a heckuva solid pistol and a phenomenal deal for low money, but don't necessarily expect a 915 to run 50,000 rounds with a frame crack.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: