View Single Post

Old 08-17-2017, 10:14 PM

Liked 289 Times in 166 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednichols View Post
And a parallel revelation: it's very likely that the average person's holster never saw a real pistol, even in the design stage. A review of sites and forums shows that at least all the small makers rely entirely on 'blue guns' from design through production ("just got a 'banana' for the new Smith, now I can take orders"). That means they aren't ever confronted with moving controls like buttons and triggers, and slides that can move out of battery, for example. Or triggers that move enough to fire the pistol if something gets into the guard even after the pistol is holstered.

Additional EDIT added point, the fact that MANY 1911's have varying dimensions and safety eases or hardness to engage adds to the difficulty. 1911's are NOT all to a common standard. They vary.

Attachment 297718
That might be true for SMALL holster makers, but it is decidedly NOT true for any industrial sized holster maker. You regularly see every (5-10 years) used firearms and out of production models going for sale on auction sites. That is about the life cycle. Furthermore laser makers regularly buy guns and holsters to help define their designs. If you read their sales literature they solicit feedback from endusers who find their guns with the lasers do not fit in their holster. They want to know why.

I KNOW some guns are used by even smaller holster makers because I purchased a demo gun sent to the holster maker & FFL after he completed his 'design' phase.

I think the proliferation of SMALL production run holster makers and Kydex clowns fuels the idea that holsters are an after thought.

Last edited by Practical; 08-17-2017 at 10:19 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: