View Single Post

Old 08-17-2017, 11:37 PM

Liked 982 Times in 308 Posts
Wink

I'm going to respond, although I cannot answer your question, in re: pressure. Sorry. We are on the internet after all.

What is wrong with me?

I have always found the factory FBI loads (Federal) to be VERY easy shooters out of J frame-ish 2" guns (-in roughly ascending order of size): M642, M60, M640, Colt Detective Special, Ruger SP101.

The Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel 135g shoots a little "sharper" to me, and perhaps a bit lower than POA.

But that's angels dancing on the head of a pin. They both are beyond perfectly adequate defensive loads.

I've tried the Buffalo Bore FBI-style 158g's in both the standard and the +P loadings.

The standard feels just that, unremarkable vs. the previous two. It's a good load, I am sure. For the crimp alone, it must be superior to what Federal currently offers. The latter are unacceptable.

The +P is a serious load. It's an eye-opener. I have no chrono. I suggest that the Speer .357 135g Short Barrel cannot possibly hit harder.

I believe EVERYTHING that BB says about the heavy .38 +P SWCHP.

In an all-steel gun it is even manageable. Really. Not at all the end-of-the-world. Heck, I get five good hits every time with my M642. But it is a "Wow!" loading. Lots of storm and thunder.

I carry the Speer Short Barrel .38 Special + P, because that's what the biggest PD in the country carries, where among elsewhere it has delivered good results against real bad guys on the street, and it is not nearly the drama that the +P Buffalo Bore load is.

Sorry again that I didn't answer the question.