View Single Post

Old 08-18-2017, 11:01 PM

Liked 7,729 Times in 2,123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG-688 View Post
It's common to see everything up to and including the belly button position called appendix. I think A = appendage is a more apt.

Here's Bruce demonstrating muzzle rear 2:00 in 1980.
About 2:30 - maybe even quarter-to-three [the Sinatra position!] - works better for me.

Ironically, Cooper in the 1965 Complete Book of Shooting that proposed the anatomical holster positions ranked the OWB appendix, with the muzzle clear of the body, high for safety.

"The appendix position (forward of the hip on the strong side, with the muzzle raked about 15° forward) is both faster and safer than the kidney position ..."
Excellent. I just wouldn't have wanted Uncle Jeff to sit with his pistol carried that way :-). And I doubt he ever did. But if I personally HAD to, I would not want it to be a striker pistol.

Ok, a challenge.

I will personally endorse, in writing, each and every holster maker who looks at the pic I've attached, and after comparing it with Bruce's picture (he wrote the article that appeared in, and called his method 'forward of hip carry'), agrees that it is a DIFFERENT/GREATER risk for you than Bruce's (see notes after):

AIWB-courtesy-defensivecarry.com_.jpg

IF he/she also makes no holsters either expressly for appendix carry, or that can be carried there.

Whilst I was out of the biz 2000-2010 (lived in Victoria where even blue guns are banned, now live in QLD where with a license I can and do get them) I did not know that with the turn of the century, appendix had moved round over the belly. When I found out I went on a mission to correct the obvious and -- got flamed by all especially Tony Kanaley.

What do I do about it -- I only offer holsters that are unsuited to carry between 3:00 and 9:00 across the belly: all my designs have 24 degrees grip forward carry with the very intent of preventing them from being carried within that clocking range (can't grasp the pistol suitably). Does that cost me money in lost sales? You betcha, it's a mighty popular carry.

What else? I pay an armourer in USA to test every prototype, and then EVERY production holster, with the pistol it was made for, before they are permitted to reach my buyers. Expensive? You bet. Worth it? You bet.

Last edited by rednichols; 08-18-2017 at 11:02 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: