View Single Post

Old 08-20-2017, 04:17 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 811 Times in 114 Posts
Default Getting older, what is your firearms endgame?

I am posting this in the auto forum since I have mainly S&W 3rd gen autos and I do most of my reading and posting here.

I am 57 years old, retired from government service (mix of military and civil service) and I have accumulated a fair number of firearms. (about 70 or so) The majority are S&W autos, with a few revolvers, shotguns, AR-15's, US military, etc. mixed in. I have two adult children, but neither is a gun nut like me. I am doubtful of having any grand children. My kids are not anti-gun, but just do not look at them as much more than their old man's hobby. I do not shoot as much as I used too and have no real interest in shooting competition, so most of my pistols are just looked at and cleaned on occasion.

I am wondering what older S&W collectors/owners think about how to handle their collections. Are you going to keep them all and let your estate/family dispose of them? Giving them to family members? Other plans?

I am giving some thought to putting aside a few for my continued use and self defense purposes, and disposing the bulk while I am young enough to take my time and get the best price for them. I do not want my wife to be burdened with disposing of them, and as I said earlier, my kids will only want/need a couple. Honestly, on a government pension, the money I could raise would pay for some additional travel opportunities for me and my wife when she retires in a couple of years. I am not looking to create any controversy, mainly want to see what the consensus opinion is on this forum. TIA for any feedback.
The Following 52 Users Like Post: