View Single Post

Old 08-21-2017, 01:42 AM

Liked 29,249 Times in 13,829 Posts
Default What's with the.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednichols View Post
. . . that carrying a pistol along the waist at 4:00 is as dangerous as carrying it at 1:00; on my 'new paradigm' post which has been somewhat hijacked. So a new thread on the topic of muzzling.

Some have heard Cooper's apocryphal story of knowing a chap who shot himself in the bum whilst carrying/drawing/holstering (not specified) in 'kidney' position. Standing, sitting, twisting? Also not specified. I'll assume drawing and we've long since learnt not to switch the safety off on a pistol until the muzzle is moving directly towards the target.

Anyway, this was all done in the light of my personal, professional objection to wearing any pistol, much less a striker pistol, across the belly (that is, any position across the front that is in the region of 12:00). Isn't it equally egregious -- and hypocritical -- to sell holsters that can (only) be worn at 3:00 to 4:00 (which I do, to the exclusion of all others)? Well, no, it's not:

Attachment 298985 at 4:00

Attachment 298986 at the belly

These are old pics, not created for this thread but for previous threads other forums. I recall I've a SIG P226 in the pics; don't get too hung up on that, the concept applies to all types of pistol. Also: the belt in the images is 'clocked': remarked from Noon (the buckle) all the way 'round, so the designation as 4:00 is not an estimate after the fact (I have all the other clocking images, too).

So: on the 'new paradigm' thread I posted a challenge to other holster makers, which was promptly 'failed'. Here I would pose a different challenge; anyone can play: imagine (let's not do this in real life) a contest in which I have my Condition One 1911 holstered at 4:00 as shown in my pic above; and you or a friend have your Glock holstered in Condition One (well, in this case there is no 'locked) at the belly.

In this imaginary contest, and realising that the yellow rod is meant to trace the bullet trajectory; which one of us will 'win' when we are both seated, and someone pulls the trigger as it clears the holster?

Well, I've 'cheated', haven't I? My Condtion One 1911 has a thumb safety AND a grip safety. Nothing at all will happen when the trigger is pulled. Not so the Glock: bang.

I'm not being a smart a** (asterisks mine); and I'm not proposing that anyone try this at home. To me (perhaps only me?) the hypothetical 'winner' is obvious; and it's as true at your favourite cafe as it is in theory, which is why I do not offer holsters that can be worn this way; and I don't see why anyone else does, either.
''

What's with the tin whistle coming out the bottom of your holster?