View Single Post

Old 08-21-2017, 08:31 AM

Liked 20,623 Times in 5,958 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCAR333 View Post
I am only going to be using the AR to hunt with this season, so I did not want to put much money into the optics. I went with the Winchester Super X because it has been a tried and true round for me for many years.

According to the ballistics calculator on the Winchester ammo sight, zeroing that round at 25 yards will have my bullet 3 inches high at 150, which is the max range I ever shoot a deer anyways.

If the scope does not hold up while sighting it in, I will get a bit better scope, but I don't see why the one that I got will not work...

If I am missing anything, please let me know. Thank you!
I can tell by looking at your numbers you're using the default setting for sight over bore at 1.5 inches. That's generally where most hunting rifle scopes are mounted. On an AR platform the iron sights are about 2.5 inches above the bore, and that's generally where most optics are mounted (centerline of the scope) with one inch tall rings or a one-piece mount designed for an AR platform which will also be one inch tall.

So when you plug in 2.5 inches into your ballistics calculator with a 25yd zero you'll be eight inches high at 150 yards, not three inches.

For your hunting purposes, suggest 100yd zero and go get em.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: