View Single Post

Old 08-21-2017, 04:34 PM

Liked 3,855 Times in 1,965 Posts

Just stumbled upon this rejuvenated thread and I'm def glad that I did.

While he didn't serve in Vietnam, my grandfather served in the Army Europe in WWII. I recall a story he told about acquiring a S&W "Victory" (essentially a 4" Mod 10) sometime in the Spring of 1945 near the end of the war. He was an officer and was walking thru base camp in Belgium (wherever that happened to be) and came across a barrel full of weapons likely from KIA or wounded soldiers and noticed this S&W on the top and decided to take it as a sidearm as he preferred the balance and weight of it to the Colt 1911 he was issued. He even had a German POW fashion some custom grips with his initials "RLM" engraved on them. He carried that S&W until he was sent home in 1946 and it lived in his nightstand until he passed it on to my father in the late-1990s. Three years ago my father passed it along to me and it sits in one of my safes with other "safe queens" that are taken out and oiled (and sometimes fired) once or twice a year, custom grips and all.

Got S&W letter on it back in Dec 2014 and as per Jinks it was part of a batch of Victory Models sent to Naval Strategic Sevice at Norfolk, Va Aug 22, 1944. That S&W is a favorite heirloom of mine and while not a Vietnam story, I figured it was appropriate.
The Following 10 Users Like Post: