Thread: 4506-1 for duty
View Single Post

Old 08-22-2017, 06:19 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 6,872 Times in 2,546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver Dick View Post
You might be interested in this 4506-1 that I purchased on consignment from Greta's Guns in Simi Valley in 2008. The owner of the shop is a retired LAPD detective and many of his customers are current or former LAPD guys.

What struck me about it was that it had what appeared to be factory adjustable night sights. In addition, the wear pattern on the pistol appeared to be from a duty holster. Frankly, I collect S&W 3rd Gens I had not seen one with factory adjustable night sights. Then I saw the '97 date on the night sights and I felt that the pistol may have been one of those ordered by LAPD officers after the February 1997 North Hollywood shootout (aka the Battle of North Hollywood). Many officers who felt they were sorely out gunned in that shootout, sought approval to start carrying .45 ACP autos. The 4506-1 was one of the .45s approved.

So, I purchased the pistol and immediately requested a factory letter from S&W. You will note in the factory letter from Roy Jinks that he states my 4506-1 is a "Special Order Los Angeles Police, caliber .45 ACP" and was shipped in May of 1997.

I note that yours seems to have what appear to be factory night sights. I'm wondering if the serial number is close to mine and if the night sights are dated '97?

It's a great pistol.

I am aware that the 4506 was authorized after the North Hollywood incident, but .45's wouldn't have done any better against full auto AK's and body armor wearing bad guys. I'd rather have 15 rounds of 9MM over 8 .45's in that case. Once you're through your 3 duty mags, you're out, and 46 rounds sounds better to me than 25.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: