View Single Post

Old 08-22-2017, 10:21 PM

Liked 700 Times in 392 Posts

Everybody has their own concept of "best" for a holster. It's always a combination of comfort, conceivability and accessibility

I can't sit or bend comfortably carrying in the appendix (1:00) position. To draw a pistol holstered in this position requires a mid-course reversal to clear and present. Nor does it have any advantage while driving. The only time I've seen appendix carry in practice is for plain-clothesed police, who don't care if (perhaps prefer to be) seen armed. Often as not, the holster has a badge carrier.

I'm happy with 4:00 carry, which for me is comfortable, accessible, and when standing, easily accessible. 4:00 refers to where it sits at the belt line. The grip is forward and tightly pressed to my side. When I reach for something on a shelf, I use my left hand, but printing is never a problem unless I bend at the waist (which I don't do when carrying).

4:00 is not very accessible when driving, but okay in a pinch. I use a shoulder holster when weather permits. It conceals under a light vest or jacket and is reachable sitting or standing.

An alternative would be cross-draw except for one thing. In a CQB situation, a shoulder or cross-draw holster is facing the threat, and more easily seized or deflected. At 4:00, you turn so the pistol is away from the threat, and put your weak hand in a defensive position.

That is my rationale, and what I practice. YMMV.

Last edited by Neumann; 08-22-2017 at 10:24 PM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: