View Single Post

Old 08-23-2017, 08:30 AM

Liked 17,200 Times in 7,303 Posts

Clothing definitely makes a big difference. It's probably harder for women then men. Women's clothing is typically more form fitting. You will definitely have to modify something. Start with a good belt. Specifically one made for carrying a gun. That will make all the difference. When buying jeans I have my holster with me and start with 2 sizes bigger, to accommodate the holster. If my waist is 34 I start with 36 and then go to relaxed or loose fit depending on the actual company. Some jeans are fine in normal fit while others are still tight in loose fit. Some jeans are still too big in size 36 and some will be too small across their whole line. So be prepared to try a bunch. After a while you'll figure out which company works for you. For instance I know that Levi's typically are cut smaller than Wrangler.

Holsters are something that everyone has a box of. Keep trying different ones to see what works.....IF your current one doesn't. I find that I don't like outside the waist holsters or inside the waist with only one clip (which is what you have in the picture). I prefer one wider with 2 clips spread apart. I feel it distributes the weight better and pulls in tighter to my body.

Generic photo

This MY comfort level. Yours may be totally different.

You'll also have to find a spot on your body where it's most comfortable. Each spot will be a trade off between comfort/concealability and ease of access. The easiest place to draw from is by your stomach area. That's called the "appendix" carry, however it's usually the least comfortable..... depending on your build.

Look for a holster that you can adjust the cant. That's where you can move the clips up/down to angle the gun and hide the grip better. If you are carrying on your hip and the gun is straight up and down the grip may poke out from the back. This will depend on your shape and type of gun. If you were to lift up the front facing clip and lower the back one the gun will tilt forward and the grip will now be on an angle thus concealing better.

Again...it's will all be what fits you. No two people are the same.

Darker shirts conceal better. And, like jeans, you'll have to try a bunch to see which fit better.

If you carry inside the waist the holder is up against your skin. That may start to get irritating. I wear an undershirt (tank top) all year round. I don't know how summers in Id are like but here in Pa winters are cold and snowy and summers are hot and brutally humid.i still wear an undershirt. I find it also helps if I sweat....I don't sweat through my shirt. Also, most of us go from house to car to store, which are all air conditioned. The min or two we spend outside in between those places is not a big deal.

----------------------------

As to carrying different guns.... like Old cop said....it's something I don't understand. There are times you may need a smaller gun due to clothing restrictions. Usually formal attire. But otherwise one gun should be enough. Know where you live, realize there is no perfect gun or caliber and carry a good quality gun. If you're in or around a big city a different gun with more ammo may make more sense. If you have a small town where everyone knows your name .... a small revolver may be all you need.

I carry a Glock 19 all day and all year with the exception of having to wear formal attire or walking my dog. Those times I have 2 other guns that fit that need. My work clothes are t-shirts and jeans and I can conceal a Glock easily. I can also shoot it better than a revolver. I don't understand why people switch up just because but that's their problem.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Arik; 08-23-2017 at 09:01 AM.