View Single Post

Old 08-23-2017, 10:52 PM

Liked 7,733 Times in 2,126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WR Moore View Post
With a covered trigger guard, exactly how is a handgun going to get it's trigger pulled in the holster? OK, some idiot not removing their finger from the trigger while holstering, but that's not really in the holster.

Early holsters were leather gun buckets, often with lids. SFAIK, exposed trigger guards started around the Threepersons rig (1920's-1930's). By the 1960s, most trigger guards were again covered in the designs by major manufacturers, with the exception of the Threepersons style.

Now I can certainly appreciate the CYA approach as holster makers have no control over the amount of training, care and common sense of all customers. Back when I smithed, I got a number of moans & groans over my refusal to reduce 1911 triggers below 4 lbs (unless I knew your skill level well by personal observation-but I still wouldn't go below about 3 1/4 lbs.).
All good. I am, however, the pre-eminent Tom Threepersons Style Holster expert (I own his personal holster of 1916, made in Douglas AZ) and can bore you to death with what a T3P holster really is :-) My resources list is more than 300 line items, of which John Bianchi's 'Blue Steel & Gunleather' entry is entirely wrong!

Indeed, though his holster predated the 1930s when Tom endorsed Sam Myres' version (we believe developed for Sam by Arno Brill), after Sam took it up it was widely copied, first by Heiser and then every other maker including Lawrence.

It's not a Threepersons Style holster, just because it's for a revolver and has its trigger exposed :-).