View Single Post

Old 08-25-2017, 10:46 AM
US Veteran

Liked 4,882 Times in 2,025 Posts

The Dillon vs "everyone else" has been beat to death in many threads. I chose Dillon because over 98% of competition shooters use Dillon, that told me a lot. Now for the reason I chose a 650 over the other 3 options. I already had many die sets so that eliminated the Square deal. There were a couple of things I liked about the 1050 (primer seat on the downstroke and primer pocket swage), but the complexity of the press put me off. I wanted 5 toolhead spots, so I got a 650. I've heard the cost of a Dillon being a negative, but when you amortize the cost over the years of use (unlimited with the lifetime warranty) it doesn't add up to much, maybe a penny a day over 20 years. When I got my 650, I didn't get a case feeder, it comes with the tube that connects to the case feeder so the statement that you have to load each case by hand is made by someone who never used a 650. You can load 22 empty cases at a time. The reason I did it this way is that after 40 years of marriage, my wife is always bugging me about birthday and Christmas presents. So I got a case feeder on my next birthday, and a bullet feeder a few holidays later (I didn't mind loading the bullets by hand until my left hand started cramping up after loading more than 400 at one sitting.) One positive about a 650 (or 1050) is that it's almost impossible to get a double charge (I said almost because there is no impossible. I've tried to make it throw two charges but haven't been able to do it, but maybe I haven't tried everything) Regarding the powder metering, I've had nothing but accurate throws from the Dillon measure, but I only use ball powders, so I have no experience with extruded or flake powders. I've loaded over 200K rounds so I think my 650 as proved it's worth. I've broken a couple of small parts, but I got the spare parts kit when I bought the press so I replaced the part, contacted Dillon and they sent me a replacement part (actually multiples of the part) so I could replenish my spare parts kit. Hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00626.JPG (60.1 KB, 110 views)