View Single Post

Old 08-25-2017, 12:05 PM

Liked 5,038 Times in 1,633 Posts
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie0810 View Post
The common "myth" if you will is that carrying a full magazine will eventually lead to wear on the spring that feeds the magazine. I have heard some say that that will cause future failure to load rounds through your mag, and some say that will cause no issues. I always carry my 16+1 full and consistently have no issues firing the entire magazine. If I ever do feel like the spring is weakening, I will buy a new mag... they are relatively cheap and that +1 bullet might be the one you end up needing the most.
Just yesterday I heard a gunstore hero advising a woman (new buyer with a prior CPL course behind her) against buying a semiauto for self defense unless she was willing to do as he did and completely unload the magazine every evening (he was carrying a 1911) because leaving it loaded would stress the mag spring and lead to a FTL should she ever use it for self-defense.

I can think of many reasons to suggest a revolver to a beginning shooter. This was not one.

A few years ago I "inherited" a semi-auto that was purchased new in 1988 by an officer who carried all 3 mags fully loaded for the next 20 years. AFAIK the only time the mags were emptied was during twice annual qualification. I had a few FTF events while trying it out. Replaced the mag springs (and as a precaution, all the springs in the pistol) and it has run flawlessly ever since. I intend to repeat the procedure in 10 years, since 20 seems to be just a hair too long.