View Single Post

Old 08-27-2017, 08:45 AM

Liked 12,670 Times in 3,374 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daver7 View Post
I've been reloading since the late 70's still have and use the rock chucker.
Over the years i've picked up and use a Lee pro 1000 Dillon 550 and Hornady AP.
As has been said keep them clean.
When I start to think about how many rounds an hour I can reload it's time to stop and recheck everything make sure everything is clean.
And I weigh every powder charge, never had a bad reload and hope to keep it that way.
Reloading is a relaxing hobby that I enjoy.
I started reloading in 1977, but with an RCBS Junior. I also still have that press but use it very rarely. I also have a Lee hand press that I'll use to load .45-70 black powder loads.

Over the years I've heard people say the Dillon presses are not good for precision hand loads. However, I've found my 550B will load sub MOA ammunition in both .22 Hornet and .308 Win with just a few tweaks:

1. I use Dillon's 3/4" powder measure adapter to install my Redding BR-3 powder measure when loading precision ammunition. I may hand weigh the powder depending on the powder and the load. The Dillon easily accommodates that by letting you remove a pin from the shell plate and weigh the powder on either the powder or seating station.

2. I use a clamp kit for the tool heads. (Actually, I have installed clamp kits on most of my tool heads, even for pistol ammo, particularly as I also use 9mm in a PCC and .38 and .357 magnum in rifles - all of the above will shoot 2.0 to 2.5 MOA at 100 yards, and clamp kits are cheap.)

3. I use a floating tool head to ensure precise alignment of the sizer and seating dies.

----

The 550B is progressive, but as a non indexed press, you have the option of using it in:

A) progressive mode, with 4 cartridges on the plate; or

B) turret press mode, with 1 cartridge on the plate running through all 4 stages before another case is placed on the shell plate; or

C) single stage press mode, running each cartridge through one operation before moving to the next operation. You can also get a third party kit that quickly sets it up as a traditional press with a single shell holder in the center of the ram and a tool head holding a single die.

Consequently, the RCBS Junior is mostly enjoying its well earned retirement.

The Junior was a great press to learn on, and except for full length case forming operations on rifle sized cartridges, it never came up short. But I did out grow it.

People often fail to think outside the box and are prone to saying that learning on a progressive is a bad idea - and if they are talking about a fully indexed progressive press, they are correct. However given the flexibility of the 550 and the ability to use it in other ways it can easily be used as a learning and teaching tool for a new reloader like any single stage press - with the difference that the new hand loader will never outgrow it.
The Following User Likes This Post: