View Single Post

Old 08-27-2017, 03:30 PM

Liked 7,682 Times in 2,744 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYlakesider View Post
No disrespect to LEOS intended but in many cases they are not who to ask. Many only know the more important (to them) parts of the law, and what they do not know they improvise and that normally leans to the in many cases a tougher read on things.

I base this on my time as a instructor for the NYS pistol permit safety class, general instructor and long time range officer and member of a few gun clubs

Just recently a friend was stopped, a tail light out and as he knows the drill told the deputy he was armed. Deputy asked where was the gun (ISWB right side) and where was his permit (left side rear pocket) Deputy told him to carefully remove his wallet and get out his permit. My friend very carefully complied.

Gave permit to the deputy and was then told he was carrying illegal as it did not say none restricted on it. This was a younger deputy and all he ever saw was the newer credit card type permits and those in some counties are marked hunting/target shooting only or none restricted. He like me has a much older paper permit and if they are not marked they are in fact none restricted.

Deputy was going to make a report about this and told him he will probably loose his permit for carrying concealed. My friend finely got him to contact the station before he made a mistake as my buddies permit was non restricted. Got told over the radio all was well. There are many more LEOS out there that have never seen a paper permit and lets face it you can talk with them but cannot argue.
++

if your local police department does not know the laws of your community.... your area maybe..... a ball of confusion.....