View Single Post

Old 08-27-2017, 09:05 PM

Liked 6,630 Times in 1,832 Posts

Being a bullseye shooter, accuracy is everything but in self defense it means little. Most self defense shootings take place at feet not yard distances. About any 22 ammo is accurate enough. I study terminal ballistics and have over 100 bullets recovered from downed game animals. When I guided elk and deer hunters, I carried a 22 pistol to finish off wounded animals. Conservatively I have used it on a minimum of 50 deer, elk and antelope. I mention all of this to put validity in my statements. The 22 lr is under rated as a killing cartridge. It has great penetration capabilities often equaling many bigger self defense rounds. Stopping power it lacks though unless spine or head is hit. But it will kill you and get in deep. Shooting hundreds of rounds each year I have a preference in reliable ignition and CCI tops my list. You cant go wrong with their stuff. Their stingers are impressive expanders even with short barrel guns. I often carry a Walther TPH in 22 lr as my carry gun. I load alternately, one CCI Stinger, then a CCI solid, then Stinger, ect. Twenty twos in the hands of a novice are dangerous as they are easy to teach and the new shooters have no fear of recoil or noise. Ten rounds can be sent downrange accurately in a blink of an eye with a 22. Earnest Hemmingway was a found believer in the Colt Woodsman as well as African profession white hunter Joe Coogan. Both used them extensively. Earnest was quoted as saying, "Put me in the corner of a boxing ring with a Colt Woodsman and 10 rounds of solid ammo, put the worlds heavyweight boxer in the other corner. Ring the bell and I will have him dead before he reaches center ring". Because they are so easy to shoot accurately and fast they are deadlier than many think.
The Following 12 Users Like Post: