View Single Post

Old 08-28-2017, 11:44 AM

Liked 20,623 Times in 5,958 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise_A View Post
I consider it a solid education on what's going to happen to a lot of people eventually. Everyone says "oh, only in the NE and California, never in my state!"

Last bunch of folks to say that lived in Colorado. Arizona or Nevada's next. Gotta get out and vote in every election--you get the wrong governor, then you lose a commanding majority in the state assembly/senate, and along comes one good tragedy-- you get what we got, overnight.
For a lot of the country it was like that in their state. Maybe some folks just don't remember or are of an age they never knew such conditions. Handgun carry was generally considered an activity for law enforcement and criminals. It's only in the past couple decades that handgun carry has become a more widely accepted practice for average Joe.

For example... Most would consider my home state of Tennessee relatively gun friendly. But take just a short trip down memory lane and look at how draconian our handgun carry laws were.

Here's a short excerpt from Tennessee Firearms Association. It's head-shaking....

Prior to 1989, Tennessee was a limited “open carry” state. Tennessee’s open carry law was limited to “army or navy” pistols but only if such pistols were carried openly in the hand. The statute did not allow citizens to holster the weapons or to carry these types of pistols concealed. A person would have to become a special deputy or receive a special police commission in order carry a handgun that did not fit the “army or navy” designation. These commissions were also necessary if the individual wanted to carry the weapon concealed or holstered.

Oh yeah... legal to carry a handgun...only in the hand.. Beyond that you had to be somebody or know somebody.

Of course we've come a long way in a short time. It can move the other way just as quickly.

Civilian Permits

Last edited by ChattanoogaPhil; 08-28-2017 at 12:01 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: