View Single Post

Old 08-28-2017, 02:01 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 6,872 Times in 2,546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevens View Post
Every different handloader has their own process of checks & balances.

My process for guarding against squib loads is to charge a full tray of 50 pieces of brass before capping each round with a slug and then seating them. I can look across the entire tray carefully and ensure that all pieces are charged to a similar level. No, I cannot see a one grain difference in the powder charge, but you can bet the farm that I will see either an empty case or a double charge.

With my process, I have reason to believe that I am building 50 very similar rounds.

Beyond that, I have some experience in a squib load using plated bullets in revolvers. ESPECIALLY when loading plated bullets in to .38 Special. Because of the large case size, because of the very genuine resistance that a plated bullet gives down a pistol barrel and as much as anything -- due to the flash gap where precious pressure bleeds off every shot, you simply can NOT baby your .38 Special plated bullet loads. No way. Doing so is a recipe for a squib.

The two different times I have had stuck bullets in nearly 30 years of handloading... both were plated bullets in .38 Special. I did not have a single "undercharged round" in my box of 50... rather, I had a full 50 rounds that were all built too light and one of them was just the perfect storm to stick in the bore.

Load plated bullets much, MUCH more like jacketed and not like lead bullets. I say this with over 100,000 plated slugs down range, mostly Berry's, Xtreme and Frontier with a few of the other smaller brands thrown in.

I used to drop 50 powder drops and then check all the cases, but my arm bumped the press handle and I spilled the whole case into the ones already in the block. So now I drop a charge, weigh each one, and seat a bullet. This way I can walk away from the bench if I need to after less than 50
Rounds loaded.