View Single Post

Old 08-28-2017, 11:23 PM

Liked 4,377 Times in 1,654 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevens View Post
This is something that you get a feel for with experience. Forgive me if I get repititive but if nothing else, take away a couple key points -- plated slugs getting stuck are a MUCH more likely event in a revolver than any pistol simply due to the flash gap where much needed pressure can bleed off when the slams in to the foring cone and hits resistance.

With plated bullets, I tend to run closer to max published jacketed loads rather than starting loads and then I inspect for signs of high pressure.

The other rule I have adopted after many years is that in .38 Special loads, I avoid large flake powders because I have never been satisfied with how they perform for me in .38 Special. In my experience, the key offenders are Unique, Green Dot, Universal and Promo (Red Dot.)

I do realize that saying this in an open forum leads to volumes of folks who will NEVER agree (plenty of handloaders have much success in .38 with exactly those powders) but I have turned the page on them.

For me, at my bench, a myriad of .38 Special is churned out using Bullseye and Power Pistol. If I felt the need to expand my .38 powder choices, I'd look for some AA#2 or AA#5 or track down one of the fast Ramshot powders.
You will get agreement not an argument from here. My experience with plated is that it acts more like jacketed than lead. My Squibs (.38 S&W SPL) were one each Unique and Universal (flakes) under copper plated wadcutters loaded at and slightly over published minimums for lead. Plus one for BE, Trail Boss is fun for lighter loads as well.