View Single Post

Old 08-29-2017, 06:19 PM

Liked 12,802 Times in 4,228 Posts

Let's not forget those of us who live in apartments and/or have financial constraints. For example, there are limits to what I can do to my apartment to enhance security. However, with a little creativity and forethought, some things can be done to improve security without violating a lease or going broke.

For general tips, I actually posted some advice in another thread which I've copied here:

Make your home as much of a hard target as you can. How much depends on the nature of your home (apartment, small house, big house, multi-floor, etc.) and your budget. Solid-core exterior doors with good quality, deep deadbolts, hinges and locks secured with longer-than-standard screws; exterior lighting, including motion detection if possible; clear shrubs and trees from blocking the view of doors and windows (gives thieves the ability to break in without being seen); make sure windows and doors are locked; place wooden dowels in window/sliding glass door tracks to keep them from being opened from the outside; install a security system; etc. For more budget-restricted options you can get inexpensive braces that wedge between the inside of the door and the floor to make it more difficult for intruders to break in. Additional options are available if you want to seek them out. These things can make thieves/intruders decide to seek easier targets elsewhere (CPTED: Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design). If intruders do decide to invade your home, these measures can slow them down and alert you of danger.

Come up with a plan. Without your gun, go through your home and determine potential lines of fire, especially in relation to your kids' rooms. You may be able to arrange your furniture to mitigate the risk of wall pass-throughs, but also be aware that you won't likely be able completely eliminate that risk. You may even be able to arrange your furniture such that it would make it difficult for intruders to make their way through your home without making any noise. Work out how you plan to get to your kids and possibly bring them back to your designated "safe room" (this can be your master bedroom with extra reinforcement on the door, or possibly even one of your kids' rooms). Do this process with your home well lit, in the dark, with your glasses, and without your glasses. You may identify issues that might not have occurred to you otherwise, such as placing night lights in strategic places. Give some forethought as to what you'll do if an intruder gives up (Do you hold them at gun point? Call police? Tell them to get out?); this will depend on the laws in your state. Very important: Know the laws regarding self defense and use of force in your state. Also, develop contingency plans in case your primary plan doesn't work (i.e., if your plan is in response to someone coming through your front door, have a plan in place in case someone comes in through the kitchen window). Do try to keep the plans simple and consistent; that will help make them workable under stress. Note: You can also apply this to other emergencies, such as fires.

Keep your gun, a fully-charged cell phone, a flashlight, and your glasses (if needed) close by. If you want the option of a less-lethal tool like pepper spray (that's specifically designed for self defense), keep that handy, too. Don't rely on landlines, as clever thieves have cut phone lines before breaking in. The flashlight is necessary to help identify intruders, as well as make them visible if you need to shoot.

Rehearse your plan(s). Physically do whatever it is you've planned, ideally multiple times. This will help reinforce it as well as help to identify potential issues. Incorporate your tools from #3 in your rehearsals (a triple-checked unloaded gun can be used, or for improved safety you can get a plastic blue gun, toy gun, or just use your finger...*pew pew pew* ). I've put my cell phone in airplane mode and practiced dialing 911. "People don't rise to the occasion, they sink to their lowest level of training." If you have kids, depending on their age you can make it into a game to help prepare them without freaking them out. You also don't need to make a big production out of it. Spend a few minutes running through everything, maybe a couple times a week. And don't be afraid to revise something if things change, i.e. the kids get older, other changes in your life, etc.

Don't stop learning. This applies to life in general as well as self defense.
The Following 5 Users Like Post: