View Single Post

Old 08-30-2017, 04:33 PM

Liked 17,200 Times in 7,303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Sherrill View Post
The "Truth about Guns" article says 60% of LEO agencies use Glocks. It doesn't say that how many Glocks are used in those agencies, or whether they are the only weapon used. The NYPD uses Glocks, too, but they also use S&Ws and SIGs. That claim doesn't tell you a darned thing about HOW MANY are used!!

CZ claims that their weapons are used in more places than any other gun. They might be right, but that doesn't mean that MORE CZs are used in all of those places than any other Gun.

The British Army, a couple of years ago, traded in their FN High Powers for Glock 17s, but that was only 25,000 handguns -- and the British Army is one of the larger armies in Europe. Latvia uses Glock, as does Norway, the French Special Forces, and the Iraqi Armed Forces. But handguns aren't issued to every military man or weapon. I'll bet all of those weapons, combined, together don't come close to the number of the Berettas used by the US Army -- even though the Iraqis bought 125,000 Glock 17s!

The article you cited about Glock (65% of LEOs) from Mother Earth, is 17 years old -- do you have any proof that it's still correct? During those years a lot of S&W 3rd Gen guns and Beretta were phased out, and not all of those agencies went to Glocks!

I don't doubt that a LOT of police departments use Glocks, but that doesn't mean those guns get shot a lot -- but your claim was, in effect, that Glocks were the equivalent of "battle tested" (either in military or police combat.) Except for the Iraqi Army, few of the national militaries using Glock are involved in combat! Indeed, most military small-arms combat is done with shoulder-fired weapons, not handguns. The vast majority of LEO guns are carried a lot and shot very little. (I've known a lot of LEOs, have a son who is a NC State Trooper, and most of them have never fired a shot on the job -- except when periodically qualifying.) I've owned a number of police trade-ins, and most of them are alike: some holster wear but like new internally.

That said, I like Glocks. I think it's an elegantly simple design. And while I only have two Glocks at the moment (a 37 and a 38), I'll likely have more, over time -- but they'll all get trigger upgrades. I loved my Glock 34, but I like my "Apex'd) M&P Pro, even better!

All that said, I continue to be wary of the reasoning many folks -- including YOU -- use in justifying their choice of weapons and how they interpret (or misintrepret) that data they cite.
MARSOC, AFSOC and Marine special forces. Would that be considered "shot a lot"?

FBI. Is that considered "shot a lot"?

I understand that not every single gun that comes out of the factory is shot a lot or even at all.

I don't see misinterpret. One agency allows 3 different handguns. In that agency Glock accounts for roughly half. That means the other two split the other half along with a % off grandfathered guns. Militaries don't typically buy based on looks or what their soldiers think should be. Typically there's testing. In the last military handgun selection Glock and Sig were the only two to pass the mean round count.

There's plenty of cool guns. Plenty of collectable ones too. However, when it comes to carry this is the only way I purchase. If someone showed me where years of testing has proven Taurus to be above all others I'd gladly buy a Taurus. I have no emotional attachment to guns, I only want ones that put reliability above all else. FNs new 509 has been said to be around 1 million rounds without issues (I'm assuming barrels and springs were changed). Now this is coming from FN itself. Peaked my interest. Now, if a few years worth of testing proves it to be true (even if not all make it to a million) I'll be all over it.

I'm not into Apex'ing. Nothing wrong with that. Apex makes good quality parts. Just not my thing. Not into swapping parts and whatnot. The firearm either come how I like it right out of the box or I just don't buy it. A good example would be an ambi safety on a 1911. Being a lefty I need one. I can find plenty without and buy the ambi safety later and have it installed. I'd rather just buy one with it already installed. My only interest is inserting ammo

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Arik; 08-30-2017 at 04:37 PM.