View Single Post

Old 09-01-2017, 10:43 AM
US Veteran

Liked 24,941 Times in 8,537 Posts

Safety should be the first consideration when handling any firearm. I have known two people that have had plastic surgery to their hands due to unloading a gun. The first was a gunsmith that was trying to unload a Winchester 1911 shotgun. This long arm had knerling (sp) on the barrel and you had to grab that section of barrel and pull to the rear to open the action. This shotgun was designed when Browning/FN held the patent on the bolt handle. Any way, he couldn't get it open the proper way and put his hand hand over the muzzle and pushed down. BOOM!!

Another friend was unloading a Colt .45 and tried to catch the cartridge. The primer hit the extended ejector and BOOM. Brass in the hand took a long time to heal.

I knew a "gunsmith" that would do a tune up on Smith & Wesson revolvers. His first step after opening the side plate was throw away the hammer block. He NEVER touched my guns after I saw that.

A couple of weeks ago, a forum member bought a revolver that was missing the hammer block. I sent him a spare that I had.

The morale of the story is SAFETY, SAFETY, SAFETY!!!
John 3:16
WAR EAGLE!

Last edited by Muley Gil; 09-01-2017 at 10:48 AM.
The Following 8 Users Like Post: