View Single Post

Old 09-02-2017, 07:15 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 6,283 Times in 910 Posts

Jim,

I commend your effort to catalog these models. Let me chime in with two that I own.

The first it a Triple Lock, s/n 12787.

This revolver is unaltered in any way. As you can see, the left side of the barrel is marked:

SMITH & WESSON .455.

It is equipped with a butt swivel, which letters original to the gun. The serial number is to the side.

Here's how it letters:

So it is in your category 3.B. "44 Hand Ejector-1st Model Triple Lock: 691 assembled at the end of the British contract but sold on the commercial market 1916-17, numbered in the 44 Spl # series ~ 12,XXX range."

Next is my Second Model .455. It bears s/n 69234 and appears to have been sold commercially. It remiains unaltered in any way and has no martial markings or British proofs at all. Roy reports that it shipped December 1917, which along with its commercial characteristics seems to be a dead giveaway that it was in the large shipement to Shapleigh Hardware.

The left side of the barrel is marked:

SMITH & WESSON .455.

The right side of the barrel has no roll mark.

It is equipped with a butt swivel, which appears to be original to the gun. The serial number is to the side.

I have not lettered this revolver.

I displayed a lot of images of this revolver at this thread: S&W .455 Mk. II Hand Ejector 2nd Model #69234

Curl
The Following 4 Users Like Post: