View Single Post

Old 09-02-2017, 08:56 AM

Liked 3,535 Times in 1,770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBnTx View Post
I seat revolver bullets to the cannelure or crimping groove for lead rounds.
Crimp, if necessary, in that groove.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What he says about typical rimmed revolver cartridges. Anything less than cylinder length is OK.

I don't load .45 ACP for a revolver, but my take on it would be to load to published overall length. That is most likely the length at which the data was developed. If no length was published, I'd load them to SAAMI max for safety purposes.

The method you use for rifle cartridges will give inconsistent results for a number of reasons. I suggest buying the Hornady Lock N Load overall length gauge. It's a precision instrument that will give consistent results with each lot of bullets. One of the reasons we get excellent groups with one load and then patterns with the next batch is varying distances off the lands with different ogive shapes, even with a different lot of the same bullet. The overall length gauge will allow you to seat the bullet to the same distance off the lands with each batch of loads.

For what it's worth, I've occasionally gotten excellent accuracy with bullets seated as much as 1/8" off the lands. A short jump may not always give you the best groups.