View Single Post

Old 09-05-2017, 10:49 AM

Liked 12,802 Times in 4,228 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomrkba View Post
The best thing you can do is attend defensive training. This should be your first priority. Attend NRA Basic Pistol for safety and background info. Attend Mas Ayoob's MAG-20 Classroom ASAP (20 hours of lecture only) or MAG-40 (lecture plus range time). Attend any two day defensive pistol class that covers mindset, manipulation and tactics if you do not take MAG-40. After that, attend Craig Douglas/shivworks.com ECQC. At this point, you have been exposed to all major skills that you need to handle a criminal encounter. Look at going to Roger's Shooting School for some serious range time. Repeat as frequently as possible. A good knifing course is always a good idea.

Second, buy a gun belt. It should have a steel core. I tried one with a kydex core but it broke down too fast. I really like Bigfoot Gun Belts 14 ounce thickness belts. The belt will save your back.
While we're on the subject of training, I'd also suggest taking a trauma course, one geared for the needs of gun carriers. Dark Angel Medical offers a highly recommended course, and they travel to different places so you may be able to find a course near you. I carry one of their mini-pocket kits in an ankle holster.

I disagree on the need for a steel-core gun belt. A good gun belt is the best choice, but for most people/guns, a good double-layer leather gun belt is more than sufficient. I have a 1.5" bullhide belt from Beltman and it worked very well when carrying my 3" 65, which is not a lightweight gun. Some people like the nylon-type belts, such as the Wilderness Instructor belts and those work well for them. Personally, I prefer the leather belts. But if you want the extra reinforcement, that's fine, and some people may benefit from it depending on the gun carried and/or their body type; just don't think it's a necessity.