View Single Post

Old 09-06-2017, 01:39 AM
US Veteran
Absent Comrade

Liked 16,154 Times in 7,408 Posts

A postwar gun, later called Model 23.

No danged reason to buy one, as it has the bulk of a M-27 and the M-27 adds .357 capability. If you had to save some money, you could have bought the M-28. And this is what killed the M-23!

BUT...you already own this gun and it's a fine example of what S&W's workmanship was back then, and if you get Buffalo Bore's heavy Plus P .38 Special ammo, it'll do 93.668% of what a .357 usually does.

I wouldn't hesitate to use it on javelina, bobcats, coyotes, or small deer to about 50 yards. With milder loads, it's about perfect for rabbits or squirrels, and Elmer Keith used his to shoot blue grouse. Of course, it'll kill snakes easily.

It won't reach out and hammer things at a distance as well as a .357, but closer in, will do most outdoor work well and is a fine defense gun. It's a superb target gun, too.

Shoot normally with std. .38 ammo, with Plus P and that very hot BB round when needed and it'll prove an accurate, useful gun.

I own .357's, but if I had this .38-44, I'd keep it, as a fine old S&W that's still very useful.

I doubt the target hammer and trigger are original to this gun. A factory letter may tell, but costs a bunch to learn so little.

If I were you, I'd get out my copy of, Sixguns and re-read what Elmer Keith wrote about the .38-44. Pay attention to his loads, too, but adjust for modern powders.

I'm a bit disappointed that someone who can't even ID a postwar .38-44 lucked into one this nice. Maybe you SHOULD sell it, to someone who'll appreciate it more.

Last edited by Texas Star; 09-06-2017 at 01:47 AM.