Thread: Where to Start?
View Single Post

Old 09-06-2017, 08:42 AM

Liked 25,733 Times in 8,694 Posts

Don't know if other's will agree with me but I would DEFINITELY start with a Progressive Press and NOT a Single Stage as others might recommend to start on. No matter which style press you start out with, there will be mistakes, errors, and awkwardness - just go slow and learn! I started out with a Dillon Square Deal B (small Progressive Press) and purchased a Single Stage (Rock Chucker) Press 10 years after that for specific Rifle Calibers that the SD-B couldn't do. A few years back I sold the Square Deal-B and bought a Dillon 650 which I should have done instead of buying the Rock Chucker because the 650 does the Rifle calibers I bought the Rock Chucker for.

If you get a Single Stage Press first to learn on, you will rapidly master it and them be relegated to a slow and tedious regiment in which to do you reloading. Setting up and mastering a Progressive Press is slightly more involved (not too much different as the basics are all the same - just all going on at the same time) but after you get it all done the learning curve goes quickly and then at least you are left with a modern, efficient and easy to use progressive Reloading Press.

Guys here on the Forum all have their own opinions on types and brands so I can only give you mine. I'd go for the Dillon 650. Yes, it might be a tad more $$ than some others but you will ALWAYS be able to sell it and not loose much - (or anything at all) if you think reloading is not for you. I'm sure you heard of Dillon's Lifetime NO BS warranty and their top tier customer service. PLUS, IMHO I think Dillon Presses are #1!

I wish someone had grabbed me and given me the same advise and recommendations I am now giving you. It would have saved me money, time and frustration in the long run.

PS: No matter which brand, model and style of Press you buy, you STILL NEED a Tumbler, Media, a Separator, Dies, Components, Tools, Storage boxes, etc. and so the only difference in a Progressive vs Single Stage Press is the Press itself.

Hope this helps.............
The Following User Likes This Post: