View Single Post

Old 09-06-2017, 01:02 PM

Liked 2,249 Times in 1,032 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy2525 View Post
I've read quite a few of your posts over the last couple years, here and on a couple other forums. I think you have some interesting ideas when it comes to armed self defense, but I'm not picking up your drift when it comes to civilian chp holders.

My paraphrase would be - ECQC is a critical SD skill, but maybe not. A concealed hammer revolver is the best choice choice for most civilians, but maybe not. I think I saw somewhere you recommended Krav Maga Level 1 as a necessary skill along with FoF training. I think I saw Shivworks Managing Unknown Contacts in there somewhere too.

Trying to consolidate this into one spot if you wouldn't mind. What skills do you think would be the minimum skills for a run of the mill chp holder to be successful defending themselves in a violent attack?

Considering how common it is for people with absolutely no training to successfully defend themselves, I see no benefit in trying to quantify minimum requirements...The Training Industry’s Dirty Little Secret

Beyond that for people who want to be as prepared as they can be, I truly don't think there is a one size fits all answer for every person or for every type of defense scenario.

Civilians who conceal carry are a very diverse group often living in very different circumstances. Training must be tailored to the individual and effective responses will be dictated by the specific details of the situation at hand. Since there are so many variables, there are no absolutes.

In the context of integrated, comprehensive self-defense, an elderly woman will want and require a much different overall approach to self-defense training and actual response than a young, strong man. Just the legal aspects alone have a significant impact on appropriate responses since an elderly individual can resort to using lethal force much more freely due to disparity of force issues.

A gun is not always or even often the solution to the wide array of personal defense scenarios an armed civilian is likely to encounter, but for some severly physically limited individuals, it actually might be the only option. There are many nuances to consider, so the focus of training will vary between different individuals. I have referred to certain skills or training as vital, crucial or mandatory on occasion, but more in the sense of using hyperbole to draw attention to an area of self-defense I feel may be ignored or overlooked. To give specific recommendations for someone, I would need more specific details about that individual.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: