View Single Post

Old 09-06-2017, 10:38 PM

Liked 597 Times in 332 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief38 View Post
First off a 1911 is a simple & easy design to work with and parts are abundant and reasonably priced should you have an "ooopps".

Secondly, to smooth up a 1911 is relatively straight forward and there are a plethora of books sand videos to learn from.

The Ed Brown Jig is excellent, well made and works like a charm but BEFORE you buy it, see how your 1911 does before stoning away at the Sear. There are many things that can be done first as in de-burring the trigger bow, trigger channel, adjusting the 3 finger spring, lightening the Main Spring, etc. before you get into actual stoning. If you feel your Trigger pull is not where you want it after other work is performed, then yes the Ed Brown Jig is the one I'd recommend.

I've done all my Colt's with great success and have only had to Stone one of them. I have not worked on a Taurus so I don't know what their quality is like. When it comes to 1911's I'm a Colt man.
All you say makes good sense. I have a Lyman trigger gage so that will be helpful but I also know how a trigger that is smooth can feel much lighter. My revolver triggers spoil me, I hope to get the feel and learn the 1911. You are correct, if I have an oooops it won't be the end of the lesson, it will just be another lesson to make me move forward.
Thanks for your continued support on my threads, much appreciated sir!
Karl
The Following User Likes This Post: