View Single Post

Old 09-07-2017, 05:20 PM
US Veteran

Liked 13,178 Times in 4,571 Posts

Quote:
Your understanding of the TSA regulations is incorrect. The gun itself must be in a hard case and checked. There is nothing in the regulations that says that the hard case can not be inside a soft case.
Actually, I am 100% correct. You can argue with me all that you want to but you'd be wrong every time. The fact that the rule has been reinterpreted to mean a locked hard case inside a soft case is presently correct because it is a total reinterpretation/misinterpretation of the rule. I get away with doing it my way because my way is the way that fits into the strict definition of terms - locked, hard sided case. Literally, it implies the gun in its own locked, hard case. Anything else is a misinterpretation but, once it becomes accepted, well, then anything goes. But any hard sided, lockable suitcase, even packed with clothes, fits the definition.

Remember - the firearms cannot be "easily accessed" - using soft sided, zippered luggage that can be opened with a ballpoint pen means your guns can be easily accessed = the new interpretation of the rule cannot be correct. Except for the folks who chain that locked box or something inside their soft luggage. That might work to comply with "not easily accessed".

I don't care if you are an airline cop, TSA watchdog, Homeland Security guru, whatever - the strict definition of a locked, hard sided case is as I stated it. Reinterpreting the rule, even in error, and thereby expanding the rule, is a nice, liberal way to read the statute. I won't say it is not currently the rule as the airlines and even TSA seem to understand it. It just happens to be wrong.

But, let's be polite, I won't be argumentative beyond one final point -

Try doing the locked plastic case inside your soft sided luggage thing WITH A 26 INCH BARRELED HUNTING RIFLE. Those are firearms, too - the rule covers firearms, not concealable handguns. Riddle me that, Batman.......

Last edited by ISCS Yoda; 09-07-2017 at 05:24 PM.