View Single Post

Old 09-07-2017, 08:51 PM

Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts

Well the pistol is back from Smith with only the recoil spring replaced; perhaps i need to find a new smith since the one i have claimed to have replaced all the springs. It does run now, however it is still ammunition finicky. I expect some of that with a pistol with tight tolerances; it will now not mis-fire but it does fail to eject factory new Federal ammo---not the ****** aluminum cased stuff but the brass cased 115 grain. Clearly not enough oomph in that ammo to operate the slide briskly enough. So here's the next question. Smith doesn't recommend any ammo other than factory new within SAAMI specs; presumably the Federal qualifies, yet it's too much of a powder puff to cycle. I will step up to 124 grain which is most of what I buy; and i load 135 grain but my handloads are also too soft since they are at low end of powder charge. Question is recommendation from you guys for 124 grain that is peppy enough to work and not so peppy that I still need stronger springs to prevent peening. Cheers.