View Single Post

Old 09-08-2017, 06:23 PM

Liked 17,102 Times in 6,271 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sailor View Post
Why would you not use one.
That's a reasonable question and there are a few reasons:
  • Not formed specifically to the gun. This is not really a deal breaker, but holsters that are formed to a specific gun, hold the gun more securely and let it go easier without compromising the retention.
  • Doesn't stay open when the gun is drawn. The majority of negligent discharges (ND) happen when re-holstering. This type of holster requires two hands to holster the gun. While I'm sure it's possible to do safely, there is a high probability of muzzling the support hand while re-holstering. If you just shot the bad guy, it's probably a good idea to put your gun away before the police arrive. Trying to re-holster at this point, adrenalin pumping, nervous about what happens next, etc., is difficult enough without wrestling with the holster. You don't want to become another victim of your own gun.
  • No way to attach it to a belt. It would suck to have to present to defend yourself and have the whole holster come with the gun. The trigger is covered and that would make it impossible to shoot. This costs time and maybe your life. Sure, the design is such that this might not happen, but it could.

I guess this is supposed to be used for pocket or appendix carry. I would do neither. Both represent their own problems aside from the holster itself.

Customer reviews must be taken with a grain of salt. Most don't think of what I've posted above. There are plenty of people who will say, "I've used X for 75 years and never had a problem." Well, have they actually used it or just carried the gun around and never had to present? Have they used it in extensive training where they had to present and re-holster a hundred times a day? For that matter, what qualifies them to say any product is good? So, just like my first post in this thread, customer reviews are usually not helpful. Just saying you like it means nothing. You have to say why and what makes it good.

Yeah, I failed in the first post. Sorry for that. Does this answer it better?