View Single Post

Old 09-09-2017, 12:09 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 6,743 Times in 2,626 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfarfuldog View Post
I am a retired police officer. I started out with a model 19 Smith and quali quickly changed to a 4" Python. My department eventually changed to autos and I carried a Sig. I am now 66 and will probably work until I am 70. I work for an armored car company and carry a 40 M&P.

I am starting to get arthritis in my hands and the 40 hurts to shoot. We will be changing to a 9 mm soon. I have a Sig, Beretta, Glocks, and a Shield in autos. I also have my original Python and a no dash and dash 1 686's.

I like shooting the Python the best. The 686's are fine. It not as good as the Python. As I get older I think I will have trouble with the slides on the autos. I may reduce my collection to 1 gun. If I keep and use the Python, will it hold up? I have owned it for over 30 years, only go shooting once a month and generally shoot 38 special.
The Python will last, but it may need occasional service, and parts are getting rare and expensive, not to mention qualified gunsmiths who know the Python action.

Seems to me that for a regular shooter, something else is a better choice, while the Python can be shot occasionally and admired. Just my thoughts.
The Following User Likes This Post: